Jul 18, 2012

Mosquito Bite Relief

I'm a bit off topic today. This post isn't about art. But, since we like wildlife art we probably enjoy being out in nature. Some of the down sides to being out in nature are pests like mosquitoes.

Since we moved from our "city" house to our "rural" house we get to enjoy a lot more of nature. Besides a lot more birds here, we also have deer, coyote, fox, rabbits, and beavers. Unfortunately, we also have more mosquitoes.

I need to use a repellant if I spend much time in the yard in the evenings, which I often do now that we have a garden to water. It's not like we're swarmed with mosquitoes here. But if there is even one mosquito around, it will find you.

I don't use DEET. I find the natural eucalyptus repellant works pretty well. But once in a while I miss a spot. And, sure enough, any mosquito around has a radar zeroed in on the one spot I miss. It's hard to get repellant everywhere. There's always some tiny spot not covered. And mosquitoes are determined to find that tiniest spot! It's incredible. I've even had them bite me between my fingers!

So, no matter how hard I try, I get bit sometimes.

It really sucks that mosquito bites have to itch incessantly for days on end. Couldn't they itch for an hour or two and go away? Really!

I have tried many over the counter items to relieve the itching without much success. I've tried hydrocortisone, ointment, Benadryl™ cream, and After Bite®. None of those really helped much.

I once had a bee sting and tea tree oil worked great on that so I thought I'd try that on my mosquito bites. It helped some. But not a lot.

Aloe vera is known for relieving skin irritations so I tried that too. It also helped some, but nothing dramatic.

Then once I put the tea tree oil on and, frustrated with the lack of significant relief, slathered on the aloe vera shortly after. About 5-10 minutes later I felt so much better! The combination of tea tree oil and aloe vera together seems to work so much better than anything else I've tried. For me, at least, there is significant relief within 10 minutes. Within a half hour the itching has pretty much stopped (unless I scratch it again!).

So, there's something for you to try. Of course, it's best if you can avoid getting bitten in the first place. But, no matter how careful you are, it's just not possible 100% of the time. So, if you do get bit, and none of those anti-itch ointments seem to be working, try the tea tree oil and aloe vera combination. You just might notice a difference!

No comments:

Shop Art Supplies

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...