Jun 5, 2007

An Introduction, Part 5

So, there I was sobbing with a gift certificate to an art supply store in my hand. Of course, it made me realize that my "true self" was far, far from the Accounts Payable department. Wildlife and art. What could be better?! That was what I really should be doing with my life! Why hadn't I realized it before?

But, of course, I had to earn a living and I had huge student loan debts to pay back. So what could I do? I had to keep going to work and trying to find a little time to paint on the side. Dreams of painting full-time just weren't realistic at that time. I needed to be practical, responsible, of course. Well, fortunately, that practical side of me only lasted about 6 months. I just couldn't take the boredom of accounting any more and quit my job with the "crazy" idea of painting full-time and somehow making it work. Hey, I'd survived as a starving student, why wouldn't I be able to survive as a starving artist? :)

It's hard to remember know how it started. Somehow a friend of mine told me about a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy .... who ran a local wildlife and western art gallery. I got an appointment to show my paintings and they were impressed enough to give me a shot. I needed to have, however, several more paintings before they'd give me a section of the gallery. Encouraged, I went home and painted like mad. After I had about 6-8 paintings I was in! My art was hanging in a real and reputable gallery!

(more in part 6)

No comments:

Shop Art Supplies

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...